Thursday, August 11, 2011

Proverbs 23:29-35

Thursday, yay! I feel like there was something I wanted to say today, but I forgot. :( Anywhoozle, good morning. I don't want to focus on the blog challenge topic today: Your view on drugs and alcohol... my view? do you boo! Ok, maybe I have more to say than that...
I am not a big drinker. I never had that phase in life where going out meant drinking and getting drunk. Not to say I've never been drunk, but those instances are few and far between. I think I can credit this to my dad who never made alcohol a curiosity. It was never off limits to me growing up, so if I was around it minus parental supervision it wasn't this mystery. I never had a need to over indulge because it was never forbidden. I have to say, I believe that is the mistake many parents make in child raising. Don't make these potentially harmful things so mysterious and off limits to children, that they feel they need to solve their curiosities when given the opportunity. That's when the danger comes in. My dad, thankfully, allowed me to safely experiment when he was around so that when he wasn't, it was just another thing... not something illicit and mystifying. As an adult, I was a social drinker, have a drink or two while I'm out to relax to not be so uptight (still never overindulging). As I got older I realized that if I have to have a drink to feel comfortable, then I shouldn't be where ever I am in the first place. And if I don't feel naturally comfortable, why would I drink? I may need to be unrelaxed and on point. So for awhile, I chose not to drink especially if I was only doing it to feel at ease in certain situations (that sounded like a problem to me). Now, I drink when I choose but only when I'm somewhere already naturally relaxed. I'm a by choice drinker, and never beyond the limit of functionality.

Ok, maybe I have more of a view on this topic that I'll share.... there was a period when I drank all the time. This was not normal Tamika behavior. It was, "I'm in a relationship with an alcoholic, hopefully the more I drink the less he'll have to drink". Possibly even, "I'm in a relationship with an abusive alcoholic, hopefully this drink will numb the pain". Whatever the case, I would find myself drinking more than I would prefer. My drinking was controlled and by choice, but still... it was bad. I'm sure that experience has contributed to me being such a responsible drinker now. I'm just glad that's over! You live and you learn (and you thank God for redemption and strength and protection along the way). So my view? I completely disapprove of the over indulgence of alcohol (especially if you are an angry drunk). Not a good look! Never again... and that's all I've got to say about that *in my Forrest Gump voice*
I feel like I just sped through that topic, no real details... but hey! Anything you really want to know, just ask. I didn't want to distract from the topic (like I usually do). In finality on the alcohol topic though, I believe anything in moderation is ok.
Drinking alcohol is not the sin. It is drunkenness and addiction to alcohol that Christians should refrain from (Ephesians 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:12). Alcohol, consumed in small quantities, is neither harmful nor addictive (bma-wellness.com). Some doctors actually advocate drinking small amounts of red wine for its health benefits, especially for the heart. I believe responsibly having small quantities of alcohol is a matter of Christian freedom. Drunkenness and addiction are the sin (anyone feel free to chime in if they disagree). BUT... due to the biblical concerns regarding alcohol and its effects, due to the easy temptation to consume alcohol in excess, and due to the possibility of causing offense and/or stumbling of others, it may be best for Christians (especially if you know you have an addictive personality and/or are easily tempted) to NOT drink any alcohol period.
I had much more opinion on this than I thought! lol, and I didn't even cover drugs... well, D.A.R.E. taught me to "Just... Say NO!" But forreals... crack is whack! And so is every other drug that has you fiending and stealing from your family, and leaving you nonfunctional to keep a job and... NUTS! That's whack!

Smoking cigarettes wasn't included in the blog challenge, but I have a very firm opinion on that... it's gross, I don't do it, I don't want you to do it (especially by me) and I will not live with, date, or take a relationship serious anyone who does smoke cigarettes. It is a definite deal breaker, no question! Take your "Newports (in the box)" and roll! This strong opinion is based on the experience of dating a smoker. Once again... "never again!"
Well, that's my peace...


I want to leave you with my favorite quote though:

"Imma drinky drink til I'm drunky drunk!"  (I will allow the quote to remain anonymous for the sake of the reputation of the quoter) lol

Proverbs 23:29-35
29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow?
   Who has strife? Who has complaints?
   Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes?
30 Those who linger over wine,
   who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
   when it sparkles in the cup,
   when it goes down smoothly!
32 In the end it bites like a snake
   and poisons like a viper.
33 Your eyes will see strange sights,
   and your mind will imagine confusing things.
34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
   lying on top of the rigging.
35 “They hit me,” you will say, “but I’m not hurt!
   They beat me, but I don’t feel it!
When will I wake up
   so I can find another drink?”

No comments:

Post a Comment