Wednesday, October 24, 2012

More Than I Can Bear?

Hello beautiful people! I am trying to recover my bad morning, with some therapeutic blogging. :) There was nothing life and death about my morning... just too much "not right". My kid is crazy (as always), I missed my bus (another one came in 30 minutes, I survived) and my husband stole my lunch (completely accidental I'm sure, so I forgive him). But a bunch of foolishness isn't how a morning should start, right? (this was yesterday... this morning was better, except my kid was even crazier today). Lord, help me bear it!
I'll get to why we're here today...

Often when we are going through something, some kind of tribulation, worry, stress... and someone will offer a word of encouragement and tell us "God doesn't put more on you than you can bear." Aww, how comforting, right? "God knows I can handle it, so he put this on me. I'll get through it." That all sounds fine and good, but I'd like to challenge this concept if you'll indulge me.
One day, I needed to encourage myself. I was thinking "I can not bear this Lord, you said you wouldn't put more on me than I can bear..." *revelation* I had to go find this scripture myself, for my own sake...
Did I ever find it? No. I'd like to acknowledge that this much repeated "quote" is not even in the Bible, go figure? (If you find it, please tell me) Do we have Kirk Franklin's song to thank for the confusion?

I've gone through the fire
And I've been through the flood
I've been broken into pieces
Seen lightnin' flashin' from above
But through it all I remember
That He loves me
And He cares
And He'll never put more on me
Than I can bear

It is a lovely song, nice message... but it isn't really biblically correct. I assume the message comes from the scripture I Corinthians 10:13:
"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."
This scripture is specifically speaking on temptation, not trials, fires, floods... God knows that here on Earth we will be tempted, but never beyond what we can handle. And when we are tempted, He is faithful to provide a way out of it. It's not saying we will never have hardships that we can't handle... what would we need Him for if nothing beyond what we could bear was laid on us? That just doesn't make sense. God is not the source of our temptations and trials, he allows them but He didn't "put" them on us. This whole song is backwards and shame on Kirk Franklin. Yes, the message is uplifting. I've even said it a time or two to encourage someone. Then one day, I needed it for myself... "Lord, I can't bear this. I thought you wouldn't give me more than I could bear." Then, in realization, I asked "Lord, help me bear this!" Of course He puts more on us than we can bear! Why else would we call on Him if we could bear it all without Him? So while the song is sweet... it's a FAIL! LOL! God's prob up there chuckling every time someone says that ridiculous quote.

Also...
The scripture previously mentioned at 1 Corinthians 10:13 highlights that God will not allow a Christian to be tempted beyond what he can bear, but it does not say that he is the source of the temptation or trial. James 1:13 says, "When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone."

So God isn't putting anything on you, and when you are going through something it most likely will be more than you can bear... but ask God to help you bear it. He does love you, and He does care that's why He is faithful to provide a way out so you can stand up under it. :)

Just thought if we were going to be encouraging one another, we should do it right! I pray the Lord helps you bear anything you may be going through.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." ~Romans 8:35-37

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" ~Jeremiah 29:11
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." ~Ephesians 6:10-12
"For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith." ~1John 5:4

“Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” ~Lamentations 3:22-23

...there's some real encouragement for you! ;)


Happy Hump Day! That's my peace. Love, Tam




2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! You have no idea how much I needed to read this. Yesterday "things" kept being thrown at me... and the more I thought about it, the more "disappointed" I became. I was wondering how so many little things could get to me so much. Then it hit me, (this morning), that I was letting these things that I can't control, control me. I get like this too often, and I just need to go get back to praying more, and worrying less! ;-) The things that are beyond my control, I've come to the conclusion that I just need to remove myself from them. I shouldn't let them get to me so much. And with me, once one thing starts to bother me, my mind starts to wonder to all those other things that's bothered me... SMH! I'm learning... prayerfully one of these days I'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you will get it. All the things we go through, it just teaches us what to do for the next time. "The next time" is always sure to happen... now you're prepared for it! :)

      Delete